10 GENERAL PRINCIPLES REGARDING PRAYER
- Decide what you want from God
- Get the Scriptures that definitely promise you these things
- If the Scriptures don't promise you what you want, you shouldn't be praying for them.
- You shouldn't want anything that the Word of God says you shouldn't have.
- You shouldn't pray beyond your faith. That is for more than you can truly believe for.
- It's the Word of God that gives you faith. So, if you are lacking faith in an area, begin to study the word and meditate on Scriptures concerning those things so that your faith will grow.
1 John 5:14-15
And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.
- Be ready to use the Word against doubt, fear, unbelief, etc. You answer the devil the same way Jesus did - "IT IS WRITTEN."
- This is fighting the good fight of faith and keeping the "birds" out of the covenant.
i. Remember, if God's word says it is yours then it belongs to you. If God hadn't intended for you to have it, then he never would have promised it.
ii. Ephesians 6:13-14
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14Stand firm therefore, ... Having done all to stand, STAND.
- Ask God for the things you want and believe that you have them.
- The word says that we have to ask even though God knows our desires and needs.
- Mark 7:7-8
'But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.' 8"Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men."
"Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it shall be granted him. 24"Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they shall be granted you.
- God has so designed His covenant to include responsibility on our part.
- When you have prayed through in a situation and received direction and/or confirmation from the Lord regarding your situation, then it is your responsibility to pray it through to victory.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
- The Lord told Thomas, "Blessed are those who have NOT seen and yet believe."
- Let God be true, and every man a liar - Romans 3:4. Ask for it, when God confirms His will, believe it, and you'll have it. Now, where things are already confirmed in the word - like a sound mind - we don't have to ask God what His will is - we just ask, believe, and receive.
- Let your every thought, word, desire, and action (faith is an action word) affirm that you truly believe you have what you asked for.
- Be positive, not negative. Watch yourself and guard against grumbling, complaining and unbelief.
Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
- Uproot and remove everything that does not contribute to faith.
- Act on God's word in every area of your life.
- Thoughts are governed by observation, association, and teaching.
- Guard against every evil thought that enters your mind.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.
5. Meditate constantly upon the promises upon which you based your prayer.
- Attend to God's Word
My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings.
21Do not let them depart from your sight; Keep them in the midst of
your heart. 22For they are life to those who find them, And health to all
their whole body.
- The Hebrew word for attend is Qashab and it means to prick up your ears.
- In your waking moments, think on the greatness of God and His goodness.
- Count your blessings and not only will your faith increase, but so will your love of God.
This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. 22The Lord's
lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail.
23They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness. 24"The
Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I have hope in Him."
25The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the person who
seeks Him. 26It is good that he waits silently For the salvation of the
A Psalm of David.
Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name. 2Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits; 3Who pardons all your iniquities; Who heals all your diseases; 4Who redeems your life from the pit; Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; 5Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
- Don't let worry, anxiety or fear have a place in your heart.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- Nothing means NOTHING!!! Guard your heart for out of it flow the issues of life!
- Make all prayer relative to what you've asked a statement of faith and not unbelief!
- It is thinking faith thoughts and speaking faith words that leads you out of defeat into victory.
- Remember your faith is in THE WORD (or Person) of GOD!
- If you have anything against anyone, forgive immediately. This is a sure hindrance to prayer.
"And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your transgressions. 26["But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions."]
- This scripture is the condition upon which the reality of the former verse is based. Prayer cannot be answered with known sin in your heart.
- You can't be forgiven if you don't forgive.
"For if you forgive men for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15"But if you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.
- This is a spiritual law - a principle that cannot be broken or gotten around. Forgiveness for yourself requires forgiveness of others.
Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" 22Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. 23"For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a certain king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. 24"And when he had begun to settle them, there was brought to him one who owed him ten thousand talents. 25"But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made. 26"The slave therefore falling down, prostrated himself before him, saying, 'Have patience with me, and I will repay you everything.' 27"And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt. 28"But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, 'Pay back what you owe.' 29"So his fellow slave fell down and began to entreat him, saying, 'Have patience with me and I will repay you.' 30"He was unwilling however, but went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed. 31"So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened. 32"Then summoning him, his lord said to him, 'You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you entreated me. 33'Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, even as I had mercy on you?' 34"And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. 35"So shall My heavenly Father also do to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart."
- We can throw people into prisons of Unforgiveness by not forgiving them and holding resentment toward them. If we do that, we will soon find ourselves at the mercy of evil spirits that will torture or torment you.
If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; 22For you will heap burning coals on his head,
And the Lord will reward you.
- We don't treat our enemies like the world does. We love them.
- Ask the Father in Jesus Name.
"And in that day you will ask Me no question. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you shall ask the Father for anything, He will give it to you in My name. 24"Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be made full.
- Jesus came to bring us TO THE FATHER. Our relationship is with the Father through the Son.
- We certainly can talk to Jesus, love Him, and worship Him, but when it comes to asking for help we go to the Father.
- Use the right kind of prayer for every situation.
Pray at all times (on every occasion, in every season) in the Spirit, with all (manner of) prayer and entreaty. To that end keep alert and watch with strong purpose and perseverance, interceding in behalf of all the saints (God's consecrated people).
- There are different kinds of prayer. We have to be sure we are praying the right kinds of prayer in the right circumstances.
- You cannot pray the prayer of faith or agreement for a particular mate.